Monday, May 24, 2010

Is Autism the greatest gift for your [autistic] child?

In response to this question, my awesome friend Avak said today:

"YES ABSOLUTELY, coz he is perfect the way he is and happy the way he is, he IS making his own choices, he is not yelling out to us saying "please help me, i am struggling with autism" and his choices are fine with us, our effort and energy is now spent on showing him that he can make other choices that we typically make...loving & accepting him the way he is, has been the NUMBER 1 FACTOR for Nicholas growing and developing over the last 14 months, especially in the areas of eye contact, interactive attention span, & fleixibility...verbal communication is a working progress too...after having met many, many parents over the last 3 years with children with ASD...the major stumbling block that they all had in relation to their child (including my wife and I) was that they had a tough time accepting, REALLY accepting their child as they are, they are very uncomfortable that their child is not "normal" like all other kids...once you LET GO of that, your child's potential is limitless...;))))"

7 comments:

  1. i would like avak to be my friend too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS i hope my previous comment made sense. it was late. what i meant was that he sounds like a very good man because of his comment - the kind of person i like surrounding myself with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't often visit this blog,but you might find it of interest: The Urban Potager: Veggies, Dinosaurs and living with Autism. http://theurbanpotager.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke,

    You absolutely made sense. I've friend suggested Avak to you on facebook. I think the two of you would get on famously =).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karin,

    thanks. I'll have a look at it =)

    may I ask how you found my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Joe T used to have a link on his to your old blog, or maybe you posted on it.

    ReplyDelete